About Me

My photo
Realtor, USCG, Motorola, Colchester Youth Soccer, Bass Fishing, Kayaking, Halloween

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Colchester Area Fishing W/O July 25th


Another week of vacation spent fishing almost every morning from 5:30 to 11am. I fished Red Cedar, Savin, Williams, Amston and Pickerel Lake.
Lake Williams was very good, I caught 31 fish including a 4lb 7oz bass. Most of the big fish were caught using a variety of senkos. On the way back to the dam I fished a spinnerbait along the East shore and caught 8-9 small to medium bass that way.

I wanted to try Savin Pond again on a day with good weather. The last time the weather and the fishing weren't very good. Well this time the weather was good, but the fishing wasn't. I only caught 4 fish and had very few bites.

Red Cedar lake gave up 14 fish, about average for the lake, the biggest weighed 4lb 4oz. Nothing was particularly effective and I tried senkos, jigs and spinnerbait.

Amston Lake has been different this year. I am not catching fish in the North cove this year, but having pretty good luck fishing the shallow area in the middle of the lake. I noticed that I was getting spinnerbait hits on the drop more than during the retrieval. So I switched to a heavy jig and bounced some super grubs on the bottom. This is how I caught most of the fish including a 4' 7oz bass and a 2 pounder.

On Sunday I went to Pickerel Lake and caught 13 fish. All the fish I caught (pickerel, perch and bass) were less than 10" inches long. There was one fisherman flipping worms under the docks that said he caught a 6 pounder that morning. Another boat that was coming out when I was leaving said the two of them caught a total of 13 small fish. They said that the lake is just too weedy this time of the year to catch anything good.

No comments:

Post a Comment