About Me

My photo
Realtor, USCG, Motorola, Colchester Youth Soccer, Bass Fishing, Kayaking, Halloween

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Fishing the week of June 27th

Eagleville Dam

I took vacation and did a lot of fishing this week. It started off pretty bad with a trip to Pickerel Lake. I fished the whole morning there and caught 4 small bass. The middle of the lake is very weedy and I had no luck on the edges either.

On Tuesday, I went to Lake Williams to restore my confidence on the Lake that has been kind to me. It did not let me down and I caught 20 fish. Most of the fish were hiding in the lily pads and were caught with a combination of Lemon senkos and Zoom chartreuse worms. The biggest was 18" and there were some 15" caught too.

Wednesday, I went to Mitchell Pond. I have never caught a fish over 8" long there, but there are a lot of them. This day was the same and I caught 22 small fish using old worms that I don't use anymore on the bigger lakes. The fish were taking them skimming along the tops of the lily pads and/or slowly sinking between the pads.

Thursday, I tried to go to Red Cedar, but there was no room in the parking lot. Lacking time to go anywhere else I went to the nearby Savin Pond. In the 3 hours I fished there I caught 6 fish. The biggest fish weighed 2lbs 13oz was caught on the Shad senko. There was a lot of wind, time was short, I decided I would try it again soon.

On Friday, I felt like trying some place new. I went to Eagleville Pond near Mansfield, CT. It is a pretty lake until all the heavy machinery starts on the east shore. There must be a dump, quarry or something like that over there. The truck/heavy machinery noise was loud and non-stop. Fishing a lake the first time under windy conditions is very difficult. I know I wasted a lot of time fishing dead water. I only caught 5 fish that morning. Two of the fish were 15" long and caught on the shad senko that did well at Savin on Wednesday. I caught most of the fish in the tops of trees that had fallen into the water.

Saturday, I went back to Savin and was chased around the lake by a couple of guys in a john boat. Every time I'd catch a fish they'd leapfrog their boat in front of me and start fishing towards me. After 2 hours of that I gave up and went home. I did catch 4 fish, one weighed 3lbs 14oz using the smoke senko.

Sunday, I went back to Lake Williams and caught some really nice fish. I fished from 6 am to 1 pm and caught 20 fish. The fist three hours I only had 3 fish caught at the north east end of the lake where I usually do pretty well. When the the wind came up from the west I moved to the Northwest part of the lake and started catching fish in the lily pads. The bass and pickerel were hitting the shad and baby bass senkos. The biggest bass was 4lb 3oz and the next biggest weighed 2lb 6oz.

No comments:

Post a Comment